8 Way To Make Lasting Change
1. Write down things that did and did not work for you last year. This list becomes a great working tool for you to set your focus for 2014; to review and decide your new outcomes/ goals. Upon doing this myself, I realized that health is my priority and that things need to shift in my daily routines to reflect that priority.
2. Shift your routines (your rituals, patterns and habits). What rituals (consistent actions) were you doing last year that need changing? Are there unproductive patterns/ actions that can be altered slightly to make you feel better? For me, shifting two things have made a significant positive impact in my life: a) drinking more water by keeping track of my water consumption daily, and b) doing an enjoyable physical activity three times a week minimum (walking to greet the sunrise or sunset; rebounding).
3. Notice how your body looks and feels. This one is a great eye-opener, especially if you are willing to look at yourself naked in a mirror. Your body is a reflection of how you have been living life. It will let you know instantly if you need to raise your standards. Your body is the most amazing thing you will ever own. Listen to what it tells you and take care of it. And yes, I am a big believer in getting massages regularly to release toxins, stress and pain! Daily prayer/ meditation is another great tool for the body too!
4. Become aware of your limitations. Where and how do you limit yourself? We live who we believe we are! If you suspect that limiting thoughts and beliefs may be holding you back, ask those you love and trust to give you a list of what they think your strengths and areas for improvement are. Getting a reflection from others assists in clarity, and clarity is power!
5. Have compelling reasons – a strong purpose. Reasons always come first! Ask yourself why you want the outcomes that you want. Having cared for my mother and father for many years, I realize that without health, life can be challenging to enjoy. For me, health is a priority, and an energized mind and body is paramount for my success in all areas of life. A friend once told me that nothing tastes as good as health feels, and I have applied that in my life. Make sure your outcome has a driving force!
6. Ask yourself empowering questions. Now that you have identified your purpose (your “why”), begin to ask yourself empowering questions that begin with “what”, “how” and “who”. What will you gain in your life? What will happen if you don’t do the things you know you need to? How will doing what you want to do enhance your life? How will your life be influenced positively if you take action, and how will it affect your life if you don’t take action? Who do you know that can assist you?
7. Decide and take action. Once you are aware of the things you want or need to change, take action. The easiest way to ensure successful results is to ask someone to hold you accountable. Agree to do what you know you need to do, and do it! And, if you don’t get the results you want, never, ever give up! Simply change your approach.
8. Evaluate and continue. Make sure your outcomes are measurable. Take time to stop and evaluate the results your actions are generating. Are you getting closer to your goals, or further away? If you’re not getting the results you want, shift your approach and keep going!
Wishing you a healthy and prosperous 2014 in all areas of your life!