So how can you influence yourself positively, no matter what life brings you? You can’t always control what life brings you, but you are in complete control of how you react to it. How can you direct your thoughts to create positive emotions? Below are some action items you can take that will affect your emotions positively. Check them out, test them, create some of your own, and enjoy the benefits of feeling positive emotions!
- Greet others with a smile
- Do something in nature (even if it is walking outside of your office or home)
- Exercise (exercising at least three times a week for a minimum of 30 minutes)
- Listen to music that uplifts you
- Surround yourself with people that support you and care about your well-being
- Read books that make you feel good
- Help others and/ or do volunteer work helping others
- Be engaged in one activity at one time (harness mindfulness and the power of full engagement)
- Participate in trainings, lectures and events that assist you with your personal and professional growth
- Learn new things
- Do something you’ve always wanted to and never have (music lessons, art classes)
- Find a new hobby
- Use smells that impact you positively (ie: perfumes, colognes, aromatherapy)
- Get proper rest and sleep
- Do activities YOU enjoy (ie: movies, theme parks, museums, concerts, opera, cooking, golf)
- Meditate and/ or pray (harness the feeling of letting go)
- Take time for YOU (even if it is 5 minutes every morning before you begin your daily activities)
According to scientists and researchers, positive emotions and happiness have many benefits, including more satisfying and longer relationships, increased creativity, work performance and physical health (a bolstered immune system; lowered stress levels). Even a longer life!
Wishing you a long life filled with positive emotions!